Summer is almost here! As West Coast girls – This means fresh Pacific Ocean seafood is about to tantalize our taste buds.
A friend recently shared this GF+Vegan Cashew Pesto recipe paired with Spaghetti Squash with us. We tried it out and 100% approve. Spaghetti Squash is the best substitute for pasta, and still has an “el dente” texture with a sweet finish. The cashews in the pesto offer a creamy texture and contain healthy monounsaturated fat that promote good cardiovascular health.
Always buy your seafood local & wild (and fresh if possible). Not only will it taste better – but the nutritional differences are quite substantial.
Cashew Pesto Spaghetti Squash with BC Spot Prawns
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup fresh basil (or more to taste)
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Soak the cashews 4 hours (or boil the cashews in hot water for 15 minutes), then rinse and drain. Add all ingredients to a food processor or high speed blender, and blend until desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Add more lemon juice, broth, or olive oil if you’d like a thinner consistency. Keeps about 3 days covered in the refrigerator.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut Squash in half, remove seeds in centre.
- Brush the inside of each half with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place cut sides down on a rimmed baking sheet and put sheet into the oven.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until you can easily pierce the squash with a fork.
- Using a fork, scoop out squash. It should come out as little strings similar to spaghetti noodles.
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 10 peeled spot prawns
Heat all ingredients together over high heat for 2-4 minutes.
Combine all ingredients together with 1 cup of diced cherry tomatoes. Serve hot or cold.